Got a challan issued for your two wheeler? Now you can do an online challan check and also conveniently pay for it from anywhere.
Traffic rules in India are regulated by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways which keeps a tab on traffic rule violators. They are then penalized as per law, which is by way of issuing a challan. A challan defines the said violation by the person as well as defines the fine applicable for violation.
However, as is evident from the number of vehicles and drivers operating in the country today, it is not humanly possible for the traffic police to keep a check on each and every violation that happens on the road. Moreover, even for the ones that do come under the radar, it may not always be possible for the policeman to get hold of the running vehicle and issue them a physical copy of the challan.
So Does that Mean the Violators Escape Scot-Free? Not really. This means that the traffic police has an alternate system in place to issue a challan to those who cannot be physically grabbed at the scene of crime. It is called e-challan. Let us learn a little more about what an e-challan is and how to do a quick online challan check in case of a two-wheeler challan.
What is E-challan?
As stated above, an e-challan is issued when it is not possible to penalize every traffic rule violator by issuing them a physical copy of the challan. This is why the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways launched what is known as electronic traffic challan or e-challan in short.
This electronic challan is issued to the offender automatically when:
- When a traffic violation has been reported by a speed sensor or CCTV camera on the road; and
- A vehicle has been pulled over by the traffic police for violation of a traffic rule
The electronic system generates a challan in either of the two cases mentioned above. Besides this, the system also maintains a complete database of all past traffic offenders.
Visual Stories by PayBima
Note: Not all cities in India have an automated system in place to issue e-challans to offenders. This is why in most places, the challan is issued by the traffic police with the help of online apps that are connected to the RTO database.
Read More: How E-Challan System Works In India
Benefits of E-challan
This new and innovative system of issuing challan or penalty to traffic offenders sure has certain advantages, which are:
- Complete transparency in the challan system, ensuring that the violators pay the fine in time, as mentioned in the challan document.
- It is equally helpful to the general public, allowing them to make payments for the fine anytime, anywhere, from the convenience of an online app.
- Since all data is maintained electronically, it becomes easier to keep a check on any pending challans. In case of overdue, the specific vehicle would be blocked from operating on the road.
- One can check challan status online.
How to Check Bike Challan Status Online?
As mentioned above in the benefits section, one of the prime advantages of an e-challan is that it makes it possible to check online challan status. Once you have been issued an e-challan for a traffic rule violation on the road, you can easily check the status of your two wheeler challan online and determine whether or not the payment for the fine has been successfully made.
Besides, you can also check for any pending challans issued in your name to make sure that all of them have been successfully paid and none remain unresolved. Let us look at the simple steps for challan check online in the following section.
Steps to Check Challan Status Online
For an online check of your two-wheeler e-challan, follow the simple steps below:
- Go to the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, India – www.echallan.parivahan.gov.in.
- On the website, go to ‘Check Online Services’. A drop-down menu will appear.
- Now select ‘Check Challan Status’ from the menu.
- A new page opens where you can enter your vehicle details, such as the vehicle number, including the engine/chassis number, the challan number issued and/or your driving license number.
- After entering all the required details, select the option ‘Get Details’.
- It will ask you to enter the correct captcha information before displaying the e-challan status of your two-wheeler.
- In case there are no challans pending in your name, a dialogue box appears stating ‘Challan Not Found’.
How to Pay for a Two-Wheeler E-challan Online?
We learned in the above section how to check the current status of the e-challan issued for your two-wheeler. Once you know that, it is time to make the payment for the fine for any pending challan in your name. Let’s learn how to do that.
Just like the current status of an e-challan can be checked online, so can the fine for the challan be paid online as well. Here’s how:
- On the same website mentioned in the above section (www.echallan.parivahan.gov.in), all pending challans in your name will be displayed when checking the status of your e-challan online.
- If there is a pending e-challan, you will also see the option on the same screen to pay the challan online.
- Click on ‘Payment’. It would require you to enter the correct captcha code.
- Upon entering the captcha details, you can make the payment for the challan for which you will be redirected to a secure payment gateway.
- If the payment is successful, you will be notified via SMS or email that the pending challan has been cleared.
Read More: How Much Your Two-Wheeler Insurance Costs – What It Really Serve
As a responsible citizen of the country, it is wise to drive safely on the road, both for our own safety as well as that of others. However, in case of a violation (by mistake or otherwise), it is equally responsible to pay the fine duly on time. And with the added convenience of paying e-challan online or checking the status of your two-wheeler challan online, the whole process becomes so much simpler.
In case of unforeseeable road accidents, insurance comes in handy. For more details on two-wheeler and car insurance, visit PayBima.
Found this post informational? Browse PayBima Blogs to read interesting posts related to Health Insurance, car insurance, Bike Insurance, Term Life Insurance and Investment section. You can visit PayBima to Buy Insurance Online.
FAQs on Check Two Wheeler E-challan Status Online
Which is the best bike challan checking app?
It is always best to visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways – www.echallan.parivahan.gov.in to check the exact and accurate status of your e-challan online.
How can I recover my BSR code and challan number?
You can easily download Form 26AS by logging into your account on www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. If the challan amount has been deposited by the bank, it would reflect in the said form which would mention the BSR code there.
Is Mparivahan app free?
Yes, the government app is available for free use by all. It essentially contains all the relevant documents pertaining to your vehicle in an electronic format.