New You can now listen to Insurance Journal articles!

A shooting attack on two North Carolina electrical substations has knocked out power to some 40,000 homes and businesses and prompted local officials to declare a curfew Sunday night.

Local and national news outlets reported that utility crews found that substations in Moore County, home to the Pinehurst golf complex in the central part of the state, had been shot repeatedly on Saturday night. Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields said the stations were deliberately targeted but no one has claimed credit.

Fields

A motive for the shooting remained unclear, Fields said. The outages could last for several days, a Duke Energy official told the Associated Press, and the damage could run into the millions of dollars for the self-insured utility company.

The FBI has joined local and state law enforcement in investigating the crime. Patrols were protecting other substations in the area in case of other attacks, officials said.

With temperatures dropping Sunday night, Moore County opened a shelter in a sports complex. Schools in the area were closed Monday.

Copyright 2022 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Topics
North Carolina

Was this article valuable?


Here are more articles you may enjoy.

The most important insurance news,in your inbox every business day.

Get the insurance industry’s trusted newsletter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *